Municipality Casalecchio di Reno
- Maria Paola Bignami
1. What is the meaning of the Grassroots Sport for you?
For the Municipality of Casalecchio di Reno Grassroots Sport means the safeguard of the interests and the needs of the citizens, and also opportunities to practice sport in a framework in which they can find good and positive values, without any discrimination and preclusion due to social state or the physical ability.
2. How to define Good Governance as general concept?
The program guidelines of the Public Administration highlight a few principal requirements that are important for local policy, which can be summarized as:
- Active participation of the citizens in the community life and to the politic choices of the city government;
- Solidarity among the community members and equal gender opportunity;
- Valorisation of education, culture and local history;
- Sustainable development of the territory with careful use of natural resources: a correct balance between expansion and protection.
Deep knowledge of the local problems, the strenght of experience, passion politics, democracy and transparency, together with listening, dialogue and involvement in decisions, are keys of good government for the Municipality.
3. How do you define Good Governance when referred to the Grassroots sport?
Good Governance referred to Grassroots Sport means that sport is an instrument for:
- The social inclusion and for sharing principles of equality, respect and humans rights;
- The promotion of the health and the wellbeing;
- The divulgation of the young’s motory education as an important approach which accompanies and facilitates the mental and physical development of the children.
- Offering basic sports opportunities to everyone avoiding extreme competition and that sports be used only like a way for success or wealth;
- The participation of the citizens encouraging the management of sport activities and of sport organizations based on the members active roles to define principles, objectivities and choices of the organization itself;
- Spreading of democracy principles, social responsibility and transparency in managing of sports.
3. What are your organizations’ priority and main principles in good governance in Grassroots Sport?
Priorities objectives are:
- Education of the young, but also spreading of principles and values during the entire person’s life (for example: respect of opponents, correct behavior in regard fans, etc) ;
- Social inclusion disadvantaged or disabled people;
- Health: like as a precious resource both for the individual and community;
- Sport for all and for all phases of life: like opportunities to preserve the health and to promote socialization of citizens and social cohesion;
- Participation of the people and sports organizations in defining principles, objectives and sports policies;
- Sharing of values, finalities and collaboration with non-profit organizations or community in the realization of our model.
- Legality: the context of the rules is necessary for the work of public authorities and organizations, in the respect of their autonomy and competence;
- Transparency and Democracy on decisions and in the managing of the sports system on the part of sport organizations and local authorities;
- Social Function of Sport to the needs of the collective;
- Social responsibility of the non-profit sector in the common good,
- No discriminations.
4. What kind of skills and experiences should “board members – political leaders in sport” have to meet the requirements and principles of Good Governance?
Political leaders in sport
We think they have to believe in the essential values, knowledge of the sports world, personal abilities and ideas. Sports is a complex world and for the politicians is very important to be aware of the dynamics, to be able to dialogue and to listen. It is also important the ability to lead the people involved to common goals, overcoming individualistic logic.
Above all political leaders should have a future vision, a ability to intercept the emerging needs and to carry out structural, plans and programs to promote and sustain innovative projects.